CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 21, 2010

Here's A Penny For Your Thoughts...A Quarter For Your Purse!



I'm gonna pat myself on the back on this one. What can I say? When it comes to Yard Sales, I've got mad skillz! I've been bargain shopping since I entered this world on October 12, 1981. It wouldn't shock me one bit to learn that my Mother stopped at a Yard Sale before going to the hospital to give birth. In fact, I say this with proof. I remember stopping at a Yard Sale before my Mom's last chemo treatment exactly 10 years ago. We were about 15 minutes late for the appointment and I knew we were doomed to reschedule! Once we made it to the office the Oncologist just shook his head, not even having to ask Mom why she was late. He was only interested in one thing...What did she get?!?!?!

I will not lie, Yard Sales are super addictive! Once you get the hang of it, the sky's the limit! You will quickly learn that EVERYTHING you see in the stores can be purchased at Yard Sales! I've been doing this for over 28 years and have gotten some really great deals! The key is you HAVE to be patient!!! God will give you the desires of your heart on this one! I promise it happens! You may giggle at me, but I pray before I go out on my adventures asking God to bless my route and bless my family! He knows what we need/want and if we're smart, he'll bless us with it!

Over the years, I have learned a few things that really help me along my quest for bargains. I hope you find them helpful and let the tips work for you. Success is GUARANTEED!


*PARTNER UP!!!*

Very seldom am I without my buddy of 28 years, my Mom. We both know what we are looking for and two sets of eyes are better than one!


*PLOT YOUR ROUTE!!!*

This is where my "handy dandy notebook" and GPS come into play. Most GPS's will route your addresses for you to save on gas and time. I let my hubby do this for me. I am old-fashioned and honestly prefer the notebook, it's less hassle and saves time; but if you are one with Magellan then go the GPS route.


*THE EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM!!!*

We leave at 7 a.m. every Saturday. This gives us time to get organized and go over our route. The dealers go to yard sales early and attempt to buy up all the good things. The only way to beat 'em is to join 'em! You can sometimes get ridiculous deals this way! With that being said, check out my next tip...


*THE SECOND MOUSE ALWAYS GETS THE CHEESE!!!*

If there was something at a yard sale that you really liked and didn't buy because the seller was just asking way too much...Go back at the end of the day! Odds are that if the price was ridiculous, he's still got the item. I've went back at 4 p.m. before and knocked on the door, my item was gone, but I walked away with a TV & DVD/VCR combo for free because the guy didn't want to take it home. What the heck?!?!? I got my use out of the free item, then turned around months later and sold it at my own yard sale for 45 bucks.


*RUN/DON'T WALK!!!*

If you see something that catches your eye, modesty must go out the window on this one. You best make like Flo-Jo and get to your item!!! The slackers are bound to miss out. Yard Sales are SERIOUS BUSINESS!!!

*HOLD YOUR STUFF!!!*

If you're undecided on an item, HOLD IT!! No lie, I've had people try to take things out of my hands! I've even had a lady grab up something that I dropped and "attempt" to take off with it! Notice I said "attempt". This is (again) where your buddy comes in handy!


*NEVER PAY ASKING PRICE!!!*

People mark their items high so that they have room to negotiate. Just last week, I purchased a brand new pair of Reeboks, never worn for 3 bucks. The lady was asking 10 and they were well worth it. Two weeks before that, I purchased an Authentic Coach Purse for 5 bucks...Nothing's wrong with your eyes, you're not going blind...There wasn't a mark on the thing! I talked that guy down...way down. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to hear that his marriage is on the rocks because of his poor decision. But hey, I got a nice purse!


I hope you've found my tips helpful. Yard Sales are happening all across America tomorrow. How 'bout joining me and grabbing up those bargains? Just remember...Happy Shopping is not full price shopping!! :o)